A healthy mouth with a beautiful smile can improve your self-image, your confidence and much more. Cosmetic dentistry creates a positive change to your teeth—and to your smile.
When cosmetic dentistry comes to mind, people tend to think of tooth whitening or veneers, but a cosmetic dentist can provide much more. Today, cosmetic dentistry has continued to evolve to where cosmetic dentists can address your functional and aesthetic concerns.
Many cosmetic dentistry services, including teeth whitening and tooth restoration, can be done in one visit.
Why do people seek cosmetic surgery?
The primary reason for getting cosmetic surgery is to improve attractiveness and improve self-esteem, according to a study by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry.
The top reasons* included:
- 89% To improve physical attractiveness and self-esteem
- 54% An accident or injury
- 51% To fix a previous or failed cosmetic treatment
- 50% To look and feel younger
- 49% Special events, such as weddings and reunions
*Respondents could check all that applied.
Cosmetic dentistry treatments include:
- Whitening or “tooth bleaching” is the most common cosmetic dental procedure.
- Tooth restoration / Bonding is a process in which an enamel-like dental composite material is applied to a tooth’s surface, sculpted into shape, hardened and then polished. No more multiple visits and temporaries or impressions to complete a restoration. New technology can design, fabricate, and place a ceramic restoration in just one visit!
- With this new technology, you can save more of your healthy tooth structure, while having beautiful, tooth-colored restorations that are metal-free and durable.
- Veneers are ultra-thin, custom-made porcelain laminates that are bonded directly to the teeth. They are an option for closing gaps or disguising discolored teeth that do not respond well to whitening procedures.
- Dental bridges are false teeth, which are fused between two porcelain crowns to fill in areas left by missing teeth. Bridges can reduce the risk of gum disease, help correct some bite issues, and even improve speech. Bridges require commitment to more attentive oral hygiene, but may last up to ten years or more.
- Tooth reshaping (sculpting) and bonding performed in one office visit. Tooth reshaping removes parts of the enamel to improve the appearance of the tooth. It may be used to correct a small chip, or to alter the length, shape or position of teeth. It can be used to correct crooked or excessively long teeth.
- Gum lift is a cosmetic dental procedure that raises and sculpts the gum line to create the appearance of longer or more symmetrical teeth.
- Bite reclamation is used for patients who have had years of excessive wear to their teeth due to grinding or acid reflux. By opening up their bite, a qualified professional can reclaim their vertical dimension.
Ready to take the next step?
Whatever your reason for getting cosmetic surgery, the decision is personal. One of the keys to success is to set realistic expectations. Cosmetic surgery alone won’t change your life. It can’t solve your personal problems or make you look like someone else, but it may give you greater self-confidence and add to your sense of well-being.
Successful results often depend, in part, on how well you and your dentist communicate. Make sure you feel comfortable with your dentist and that you are open with him or her about your goals and questions.
We offer a range of cosmetic dentistry treatments at Mill City Dental, contact us to learn more.